Singapore Grand Prix Pledges to Halve Energy Emissions by 2028

Image: Singapore GP

The Singapore night race organiser Singapore GP Pte Ltd (SGP), will halve the energy emissions from the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix by 2028 by focusing on energy reduction, increasing the use of renewable energy sources, and utilising Renewable Energy Certificates1 (RECs) for unavoidable emissions.

The move follows SGP’s first carbon footprint report, which found that total emissions in the Circuit Park amounted to 2,372 tCO2e2 in 2022.

Energy use made up most of the emissions at 96.1%, while the remaining 3.9% resulted from transport, waste, and water. Consequently, SGP will focus its efforts on energy use — the area with the greatest potential for impact. To tackle emissions from power generators, Singapore GP will gradually phase out diesel, and increase the use of low-carbon fuel alternatives.

“We have adopted incremental sustainability measures since our debut in 2008, but with advancements in technology and the evolution of best practices, we now have an opportunity to do more,” said Sasha Rafi, Director of Sustainability, at SGP.

“Equipped with data from our 2022 carbon footprint report, we have developed a roadmap that will allow us to meaningfully reduce emissions, with a distinct focus on energy use. These measures will be taken in tandem with Formula 1’s global efforts to reach net zero by 2030.”

The feasibility trial to substitute diesel fuel with renewable fuel such as Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO), will take place from this year. SGP will work towards implementing HVO in half its Circuit Park power generators by 2025, and all of its power generators by 2028. This initiative will reduce CO2e emissions by up to 52% when fully implemented. Where possible, the organisers will also adopt renewable energy to reduce emissions drawn from the electrical grid.

Earlier this year, the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) installed solar panels at the F1 Pit Building. The amount of electricity generated by these solar panels in a year is enough to power the building for an entire race month. 100% of the track lights are being replaced by energy-efficient LED lights, reducing electricity use by at least 30% than the previous metal-halide bulbs.

A Collective Responsibility

“Sustainability is a collective responsibility. We are committed to work with like-minded industry players to scale up in sustainability solutions and capabilities for the Singapore race. This is the start of our journey and we will continue to take steps towards our goal of becoming one of the most environmentally sustainable street circuits on the Formula 1 calendar,” said Ong Ling Lee, Executive Director, of Sports, and Wellness, STB.

SGP will continue to utilise RECs to offset remaining unavoidable emissions. In 2022, it purchased RECs to cover 85% of its electricity consumption in the Circuit Park.

While energy management will remain the cornerstone of SGP’s sustainability drive, other measures to minimise the event’s environmental footprint will also continue to be explored.

In 2023, SGP will roll out container toilets with enhanced water efficiency5 in the Circuit Park. Set to be deployed for the first time at a local event, these solar-powered toilets will save an estimated 129,600-litres of water over the three-day race weekend.

Other ongoing initiatives include the long-standing practice of collecting used cooking oil which saw 8,105kg of it recycled into biodiesel in the last five editions. In 2022 alone, this achieved at least 4,000kg of CO2e reduction. Last year, SGP also ceased sales of single-use plastic bottled water, which eliminated an estimated 160,000 single-use plastic bottles.

Given the nature of the street circuit, fans are also encouraged to travel to the event by public transport. The Circuit Park is served by six MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) stations that are within walking distance to the gates.

SGP said it will also endeavour to achieve additional standards to align its sustainability initiatives with industry benchmarks and maintain a high level of accountability.

In 2022, it received a one-star rating from the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile Environmental Accreditation Programme. The F1 Pit Building has also been certified Green Mark GoldPlus by Singapore’s Building and Construction Authority since 24 Feb 2022.