Mitsubishi Partners to Build a Sustainable PET Bottle Supply Chain

Japan’s Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) together with Suntory Holdings and Tokyo-based energy firm Eneos Corporation have reached an agreement to build a supply chain for sustainable PET (PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles derived from biomass.

MC believes the usage of biomass for PET bottles, together with further development of the recycling system, will play an important role in a low-carbon and decarbonised society as well as reducing dependency on fossil resources.

For PET bottles, ethylene glycol (MEG), which accounts for about 30% of the main raw material of PET resin used for PET bottles, has been produced from biomass, while the remaining approximately 70% high-purity terephthalic acid (PTA) derived from paraxylene (PX) had not been converted to biomass on a commercial scale.

Through the development of this new supply chain, MC will contribute to the reduction of CO2 emissions in comparison with conventional petroleum-derived products by introducing PET resin produced from bio-PX.

This will be the world’s first production of sustainable PET bottles using bio-PX derived from bio-naphtha on a commercial scale.

By the end of 2023, Bio PX equivalent to approximately 35 million PET bottles will be produced, which will be used as a raw material for Suntory’s sustainable PET bottles in 2024.

Supply chain diagram: